You've probably heard of the movie "300" which is coming to theatres tomorrow. The movie, which is about the Battle of Thermopylae between the Greek and the Persians is closely based on a comic book by Frank Miller (the author of Sin City).
Update: What I said below is not correct since according to Wikipedia, the director has claimed the movie is 90% historically accurate!!
- gary leupp- 300, A RACIST AND INSULTING MOVIEAdded April 03, 07
- History and the Movie “300”
- the Wikipedia Discussion of the movie
- and Xerxes of Persia
- Also see: 300 the movie (A nice collection of artwork and articles related to "300" and ancient Persia).
One thing to add, according to history, Xerxes (son of Darius the great) was nothing like his father or Cyrus the great... however he was not a pierced savage either!
* In the picture above, Xerxes is the prince and not the king yet. In the full picture shows him standing behind his father Darius.
* You may also want to see the video in one of my previous posts (In Search of Cyrus The Great) that explains greek authors have introduced Persians as savages.
- Even the Greek are outraged: Sparta? No. This is madness (Added on March 15 from The Toronto Star)
- I posted some very interesting videos of the Persepolis (including Xerxes) in Persepolis Recreated.